A NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER.
The pioneering experts behind The Whole-Brain Child tackle the ultimate parenting challenge: discipline.
‘A lot of fascinating insights … an eye-opener worth reading.’—Parents
Highlighting the fascinating link between a child’s neurological development and the way a parent reacts to misbehaviour, No-Drama Discipline provides an effective, compassionate road map for dealing with tantrums, tensions, and tears — without causing a scene.
Defining the true meaning of the ‘d’ word (to instruct, not to shout or reprimand), the authors explain how to reach your child, redirect emotions, and turn a meltdown into an opportunity for growth. By doing so, the cycle of negative behaviour (and punishment) is essentially brought to a halt, as problem solving becomes a win/win situation. Inside this sanity-saving guide you’ll discover:
- Strategies that help parents identify their own discipline philosophy — and master the best methods to communicate the lessons they are trying to impart.
- Facts on child brain development — and what kind of discipline is most appropriate and constructive at all ages and stages.
- The way to calmly and lovingly connect with a child — no matter how extreme the behaviour — while still setting clear and consistent limits.
- Tips for navigating your child through a tantrum to achieve insight, empathy, and repair.
- Twenty discipline mistakes even the best parents make — and how to stay focused on the principles of whole-brain parenting and discipline techniques.
Complete with candid stories and playful illustrations that bring the authors’ suggestions to life, No-Drama Discipline shows you how to work with your child’s developing mind, peacefully resolve conflicts, and inspire happiness and strengthen resilience in everyone in the family.
‘With lucid, engaging prose accompanied by cartoon illustrations, Siegel and Bryson help parents teach and communicate more effectively.’—Publishers Weekly
‘Wow! This book grabbed me from the very first page and did not let go.’—Lawrence J. Cohen, PhD, author of The Opposite of Worry
‘Frustrated parents often ask me why the disciplinary techniques they are using with their children aren’t working, or are even making things worse. I have not always known what to say, because I was not always sure I understood what was going wrong. Now I know. No-Drama Discipline unlocks the secrets of discipline: what works and what doesn’t, and why—and what to do when you are pulling your hair out. Simply put, Dan Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson’s insights and techniques will make you a better parent. I know I will be using the concepts from this extraordinarily helpful book for years to come.’
Michael Thompson, Ph.D., co-author of Raising Cain
View all reviews
‘Wow! This book grabbed me from the very first page and did not let go. Siegel and Bryson explain extremely well why punishment is a dead-end strategy. Then they describe what to do instead. By making the latest breakthroughs in brain science accessible to any parent, they show why empathy and connection are the royal road to cooperation, discipline, and family harmony.’
Lawrence J. Cohen, PhD, author of The Opposite of Worry